Monday, April 09, 2007

"Paque-nique"

Pun-tastic!  (brought to you by Lily)

That's what I did yesterday for Easter... among many other things.

I was suppose to wake up early on Sunday so that I could go to the 11:30am mass at Notre Dame.  As early as that is, I still woke up late.  10:15am isn't enough time to shower and to break night fast - since I haven't mastered the art of eating whilst asleep.  So, I got to the cathedral at around 11:35am.  Both David and Lindsey were late as well.  All the seats were taken by the time we got there.  We had to stand on the sides with tourist walking around the perimeter of the church - snapping pictures and stepping in front of us to peer at the mass.  The choir was amazing.  I really liked the pieces that they performed.  And hot-diggity!  The organ was great - bloodcurling, mysterious, and wrathful, and ever so ephemeral.  During communion, the choir did this really dissonant piece that was perfect because 1. it was beautifully written and performed and 2. communion in France is so freaking disorderly.  There is no format, no plan, pure chaos.  There were so many spectators in the crowd that we didn't know who to follow and if it was even a line at all!  But, David did receive his sacrament.  Then, the mass was ended with the soothing words of "please exit quickly through both doors on the sides because the following group is coming in now for the next mass" by the Monseignor.  Damn!  They were pumping the public in and out like a theater company - probably faster too.  You got your spiritual ration for today, now SCRAM! 

So, we did.

Then, we had our picnic in Parc de Monceau.  It was a glorious day for partaking in such things.  We had brought lots of baguettes, cheeses, meats, creme de canard, fruits, and chocolates.  The sun was perfectly lazy, gently caressing, and very aware of the meandering breeze that weaved through our picnic area.  It was cool to just eat and relax with new friends. 

I thought for a few minutes I had lost my wallet.  That caused me to panic and become unease.  But, equilibrium was re-established when I found it in another fold of my messenger bag.  And then, the day was better because I had NOT lost my wallet. 

Following our somnolent picnic (bread makes you sleepy), I followed Sarah and Lily to an English bookstore, Shakespeare and something.... We were lost in it for a while.  It was kept by an older man with his daughter - both English.  And there was a cat and crowded shelves and books everywhere. It was excellent.  We then walked through along the Seine onto Ile de St. Louis.  I got some citron gelato and my friends browsed through lots of jewelry shops.  Then, we ended at the bridge connecting St. Louis to Ile de Cite.  Just relaxing.  I actually sauntered today.  Even though tourist were abounding, we managed our own peace about us.  Sarah was then ambiguously "hit" upon by a man in his mid-thirties who was accompanied by his parents.  Very awkward indeed.  We left shortly after.

I went to La Monge after this for Easter dinner at Aisha's apartment.  It was great.  I had wanted to bring a rotisserie rabbit, but oddly enough most charcuteries were closed on Easter.   So, I just bought an assortment of pastries.  The rabbit got away.  It was a hecka nice apartment and we all felt like adults having a dinner party and talking.

We then went to a hookah bar named "Sahara" near Odeon.  And we wallowed in smoke for the next two hours before I left for home.  What I got from this... I like talking to Grace.

Saturday: I woke up, ate breakfast, went to Montmartre and Sacre-Coeur, hung out with Micheal+Lindsey+David, had dinner with Alex, drank with Lev, and went out dancing at Sanz Sans with Stanford kids.  It was good.

Friday: I woke up late, ate breakfast, read at the Eiffel tower, found the market, made dinner by myself, had beer near Les Halles, played pool and beer pong at the 5th bar on Mouffetard with Jin+John+Grace, went home very drunk.

So, that's enough eh?  Cuz, that's all I got for now.

I'll be back soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

one thing really caught my eye in that sentence: "played pool and beer pong".

it's like you never left

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home