Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Lots to see.

This last week Lunar New Year (commonly known to people as Chinese New Year). However, it also encompasses other countries too - regardless of the fact that all asians look alike and are Chinese.

But....anyhow....Our dorm made some food and it was all swanky. We brought food on the previous Sunday and prepared and cooked on Sunday night, Monday night, and Tuesday afternoon and night. We served on Tuesday night. I think I put in a total of about 8-9 hours. INSANE!!!! We made eggrolls, pork dumplings, rice and sausage, sweet dumplings, and mung bean sweet soup (thingie). And there were red envelopes and sweeten tarts - soursop, gourd, and coconut. It was a lot of work - unsurprisingly. But, people were happy and it nice to see that. And it reminded me of New Year stuff at home. So, I'm not really complaining...it just seems like so. Next year, I just want to do it with a small group of friends. Then, we wouldn't have to mass-produce and we could try out more things. It should be fun.

But, other than that. I went to the campus celebration in White Plaza. There were many-a performances - Wu Shu, Lion Dance, Cambodian flower dance, and Vietnamese hat thing. It wasn't spectacular but it had cheap asian food. I like that kinda stuff. Haha....

I plan on going to the San Francisco Chinatown New Year Parade next Saturday with some friends. Now for that - I'm really excited. It's suppose to be one of the top ten parades in the world. So, It better be good. OR ELSE!!! *shakes fist in air in a belligerent manner*

But, other than that.....

On Friday, I went to a piano concert on campus by a really renowned pianist (pee-an-ist, not pee-nist) Thomas Schultz. He played more classic Schubert and Liszt with more contemporary Rzewski and Stockhausen. I was so tired but whatever I did hear when I was awake was really enjoyable and good. It was so precise! and passionate... I also saw "The Virgin Suicides" by Eugenides that night with Libby. It was so strange. Yeah.....just strange and crazy. (my type of movie....haha)

Then on Saturday, I paid $7 to see Vaginas. Meaning I saw the Vagina Monologues. They were also really good. I must applaud the creativity and deliverance of the show. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterward, even I appreciated my vagina that I don't have. It was that affective. I just can't imagine someone coming out of a show like that and not like/respect vaginas - or be sexist. But...afterwards, I went to Roble's party by myself to visit Amy. The theme was "Flashy Trashy" and mud-wrestling was available. It was nicely crowded. I had fun. Then I went home and slept at 3:30. Insane!

There were like five other parties that night. OH......I've been sick lately. I still am. Damn the common cold. I feel like crap!!! (notice the triple exclamation points) But, it's getting better. I hope I don't jinx myself. That would be unpleasant to be sick again.

It's a rainy Valentine's Day. It's so great. I like the dark ominous clouds above. I like the wet and drippiness of today. I like the surge of downpour. Roses that are wilting as I type not even lasting half a day. Roses that prick and bleed you. It's all so merry indeed. (Pardon my light skepticism)

But, last night (Sunday) I saw a hip-hop and jazz dance concert hosted by Stanford's DV8. It was really good. I enjoyed it. It had about 6 other groups performing....So many asian dancers. It's CRAZY. craziness. But, I enjoyed it - especially it's progressiveness (take it to mean whatever you want it to mean - hint - nerds, umpa lumpas, and sexuality). It was refreshing.....to say the least....especially the last act. Most people didn't catch it. But I did.

So...this week is my resting week before my second round of midterms. So, I better enjoy it. Hope to enjoy the next week.

A bientot.

L'amour est insensee. BLAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home