Saturday, October 23, 2004

Purple Balloon slowly deflates....

Another week finally over……

Well…..geez…..what has happened?.... Oh yes, I finished my first ever round of midterms in college. I think that deserves a good pat on the back. I only had one, so it wasn’t too bad (along with an essay for my humanities class) I’m more insane now then ever because I’m taking two math classes at the same time (one officially and the other unofficially) so that totals about 24 hours a week. YAY! (not.) Add about another ten hours of extracurricular activities and you a have a tree deprived of sleep (………yet again.) I distinctly remembering that I thought college would allow me to sleep more because I wouldn’t have to wake up so early (i.e. 6 AM). However, I still get about the same amount of sleep. (DAMN you, interesting dorm-mates) It’s also not fun to have a 9 o’clock every day. In relation to high school, that would be so awesome. Yet…. It’s not. (???)

Anyhow, last Friday, I went to the Okada party (Okada is the Asian theme house) which was suppose to be cool. We showed up to a party with ten motionless people staring at the wall while an asian student raps to (I think) karaoke. So………we left. It was the only natural thing to do. And me being the party-animal that I am, it is assumed that leaving was the only course of action. Afterwards, the intention was for some people to go to a frat party. But, again, my party instincts kicked in and I didn’t go. Imagine all of this excitement with a throbbing headache. (I did try sleeping off the headache….but, the junior next door plays very loud pop music that possesses a pounding quality that I didn’t really help with headache.) But, I finally went to sleep. So, I was all better the next day.

Sunday, Johnny and I along with my roommate Hari went up the infamous Hoover tower (this tower is known as the largest phallus on campus – rising up to about 300 ft. – I don’t think very many guys can compare……as in no one) Anyhow, the wind was very nice and stuff. I could see the San Francisco Bay and water. It was nice, but excessively windy.

Then, it rained for the next three days. Imagine this: collages of colors from red, yellow, and green sprinkled with an assortment of brown in every direction; cloudy and tranquil mornings that convey a sense of solidarity; gentle breezes that glistens your surroundings because of the fluttering leaves and branches in the afternoon sun that comes out after the clouds fade………………….and quiet and peaceful nights in under a blanket of passive stars. Of course, I’m always running to classes and buried in work so I can’t thoroughly savor every juicy piece of image presented to me here. Yet, I try real hard to take it all in even if it’s a cursory one. Plus, the frequent rains here make me SO HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYY !!! !!! !!! It really compliments me! Or at least I feel it does. I love ambling around on campus when I get the chance. It really gives me a peace at mind to think things through and stuff of that sort……..or not think at all.

Happiness really does come down to very little and simple things. (well, to me right now it does) i.e. this last week, I rescued a balloon that was destined to be trashed and gave it a home on my backpack (very conspicuously). I was so irrationally happy with it always on my backside. I named the thing “purple” (guess why?) and wrote “U Suck! (smiley face)” on it. It made me oh-so happy inside. I decided that it represented my happiness. Yes, a fickle thing that could pop at any moment. And the world is full of edges. (indeed) But, it’s still alive right now. So, I’m still relatively happy.

This weekend is Stanford’s homecoming. So, I got and get to meet so many people who used to go here from ten years back all the way to sixty years back. It’s very interesting. It makes me think of my future self – coming back to visit a place where a sequence of memories occurred; events so full of emotion and thought that would enrich the final composition of who I am. Huh………….I feel nostalgic already……….is that even possible? But, right now I’m just moving with the current without much time to contemplate or wonder. It’s always pushing. I just keep on floating. (why resist?)

Anyhow, last night after my last midterm, I was in a dorm-mate’s (Gene) room with other people (about a total of ten people) having fruit and melted chocolate. Then we listened to old music and danced. I’m serious (I even danced). I was extremely happy (for that moment – and I guess that’s all that really counts – moments that are happy). So, I went to bed at two and took a test this morning in French.

Oh, my group for the scavenger hunt won the contest with the best pictures. YAY! So, I’ll post some of those pictures soon.

Well, this finishes my week.

(I wasn’t too melancholy this last week. However, I’ve been preoccupied with death since class started (I’m taking a class on mortality in philosophy and bioethics). So, it really does put things into a more real perspective. I’m not personally melancholy, but I am definitely in a state of worldly melancholia.)

Look forward to my comments on "Full Moon on the Quad: the Stanford Kissing Frenzy" that will happen this next Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home